So this was another successful recipe, new to us. I had to tweak a few things in it, so I’ll be putting what I did off to the side in parentheses. And, I froze half of it, so now we’ll have it for a future meal! Score! I’m also switching up the wording of the instructions.
*1 lb ground beef, or premade taco meat (I used plain ground beef)
*1 11oz can of Mexican corn with green & red peppers (I used whatever size can I found, which was 14.5 I think, and it was poblano peppers and red peppers, rather than the green pepper kind)
*1.5 cup water
*1.5 cup uncooked Minute Rice
*16oz Picante sauce (I used a 24oz jar of chunky salsa, which was really just over 2 cups)
*1 tsp chili powder, if not using the premade taco meat (I just sprinkled it and probably used 2 tsp total)
*1 cup grated cheese (I used sharp cheddar)
*Optional toppings: sour cream, chips, guacamole, etc. (I didn’t use any of this, because I didn’t think about it. Sour cream would have been excellent though!)
1. Cook the meat. Either you’re reheating, or you’re cooking raw meat. You can figure it out.
2. Add the can of corn when the meat is finished. (The recipe doesn’t state whether or not to drain it; I didn’t. It was fine.)
3. Add the salsa, rice, water, and chili powder if you don’t use premade meat.
4. Stir it up and put the lid on, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 5-10 minutes (took me 20 minutes), or until liquid is absorbed.
5. Plate (or bowl) it up and top with cheese and other toppings.
It was good, and not too terribly spicy either. It had the right amount of kick. It was really easy too, which is always a good thing. I served it with a salad as the veggie, even though there were technically veggies in it. You can’t have enough veggies!! And like I said, I was able to freeze half of it, so we can enjoy this meal again, on a night where I’m particularly lazy. I plan to thaw it completely, and then either reheat it in the skillet, or microwave it (don’t judge!). I’m sure it would be delicious if it was topped with cheese and baked too.
Unfortunately, I have NO IDEA where I got this recipe from, because I had it saved as a Word document, without a recipe title. So, I apologize that I can’t link to the site (although, I feel like it was the same site I got the chicken Crockpot recipe from that I posted yesterday, but I don’t know and I’m on my phone so I can’t search).